I really enjoyed reading Jamie Larue’s post All Hat, No Cattle: A Call for Libraries to Transform Before It’s Too Late. It was very refreshing to hear such a positive and inspiring call for librarians to change. I especially like Larue’s call to action for librarians, especially the following:
- Engage. Pay attention – the e-landscape changes weekly.
- Become a publisher. Acquire the means of e-content production and management. Build an e-publishing platform as easy to use as Amazon’s.
- Budget for investment in technology.
- Build new acquisition and review systems. Experiment with alternative collection development strategies.
- Reach out to your community to grow authors. DCL has begun compiling author resources to make would-be writers better: writing clubs in the area, writing classes, lists of copyeditors and book designers.
- Talk to more than librarians! Strike up some conversations with your local bookstore, with local media, with local civic groups.
- Be positive. In public, at conferences, on panels, project excitement and confidence.