Life at the Hoenke home aka Fidelia Hall is very good. Spring is very much in the air, the birds are out and chirping, the plants are growing, and everything just feels pretty darn great.
Most of what Fidelia Hall is now and what it is becoming is due to my excellent partner Haley. Since the weather became favorable this spring, Haley has spent every day outside on the property working on a number of things: planting herbs, teas, and vegetables, moving plants around, putting up fences, planting trees in our fruit orchard, getting our rabbit and chicken area ready, and much more. The idea is to create a property that is magical to us, our friends and family, and our guests. Plants, gardens, and animals help add to a vibe that makes people feel welcome. When people feel welcome, they tend to come back. That’s the goal.
Here’s a list of some of the things that are happening around Fidelia Hall these days:
- Preparing straw bales gardens that’ll provide our family with vegetables throughout the year.
- Setting up a bird feeder area so we can watch birds from the kitchen in the morning.
- Digging up and landscaping a tea garden that will provide us with tea leaves so that we can make our own teas.
- Managing our animal area, which is home to our three chickens and two rabbits.
- Putting up a fence around the eastern side of the property and then eventually finishing the fence so that it helps better define our home/work areas.
- Maintaining our fruit orchard, which is home to apple and cherry trees as well as blueberry bushes and more.
- Stripping away old, flaky paint from the tin ceilings we recently discovered in the Fidelia Hall building and repainting it.
- Refinishing the old wooden floor in the Gallery in our basement.
- Tearing down and rebuilding the roof above the handicap ramp entrance in the back of the building (it suffered some bad water damage before we owned the building).
- Restoring heat the The Great Hall (aka the chapel) section of the Fidelia Hall building.
- Loaning out The Great Hall to a local band so that they can practice for their Summer 2016 performances.
- Getting Fidelia Hall ready for the June 11 2016 Rummage Sale. All proceeds from this event will go towards funding one of the projects listed above!
Thank you all for your love and ongoing support. We really appreciate it as we continue to embark upon this slightly crazy and terrifying journey that is totally worth it and fun.